Friday, December 19, 2008

2 for take down says the Ref.

In the last three weeks Ilwaco high school has attended The Knappa Invite, the Astoria Duel Meet, the Warrenton Invite and the home meet at Ilwaco. These are all pre-season matches to get the team better for season in January. Although I wrestled my freshmen year I had know drive to want to be a wrestler at my former school Franklin High which is a 6a school. When I moved to Ilwaco from Portland Oregon 6 months ago I did not think that they would have a good team let alone a good coach. I was shocked to see at least 30 guys in the mat room wrestling both middle school and High school. That’s more than the football team had.
I had a choice to play basketball or wrestle I was torn between the two I knew I was a better wrestler than a basketball player but I enjoyed playing basketball it was fun to muscle people who were bigger than me when I drove to the basket. On the other hand my previous coach’s In wrestling were very inexperienced which made wrestling hard for the me to learn from them because they were trying the moves for the first time also.
Here at Ilwaco I have found that Coach Kevin Mcnulty is the best coach I have ever encountered. He is a wonderful coach to have. I have never had a coach that gives you the one on one time you need to break the moves down to our understanding and help’s us to rein act the moves to get the best of our abilities through drills. The team has had a dramatic improvement from the first day we wrestled we still make novice mistakes but that’s what pre season is for its to get us better for the real matches that count.

No comments: